Sunday, October 12, 2008

How do you get to the Grand Ole Opry?

The Grand Ole Opry is the oldest continuous radio program in US history. It is considered to the be the high church of country music. In 1943, the Grand Ole Opry moved to the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville, Tennessee. The Ryman Auditorium initially served as the Union Gospel Tabernacle.

Becoming a member of the Grand Ole Opry used to the ultimate honor that could be bestowed upon an artist. If you noticed I used the past tense. I don't know if it means a hill of beans these days. The Grand Ole Opry I remember required a long time career of country music, success and a strong contribution to country music. NOW I think the only requirement is what you look like and if you have had somewhat of a hit. It seems as though the Grand Ole Opry is passing out more memberships than your local Gold's gym.

Come on, Craig Morgan? I challenge anyone out there to tell me one song of Craig Morgan's without researching it? Dierks Bentley? Come on G.O.O. - Take one for collective country music team and do what's right for country music and not just for your pocket book. County music is suffering because of it. Don't believe me? Just listen to the radio.

Grand Ole Opry, I'm disappointed in you.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
See Rock City, USA, United States