Monday, November 10, 2008

Movie Review - "W" - Masked Blogger

Well, the ole "Lone Ranger" is at it again. This time he/she is giving us a movie review. Who knows what next week holds...? Keys to our salvation? How to clear out our septic tank? Personal hygiene shortcuts? Enjoy.




W.

With all of the buzz around the election, President George W. Bush seems to be amongst the missing. In fact, the only time he seems to pop up is in connection with SNL and Frank TV. One of the true conspiracy theorists of our time is Oliver Stone. Stone made his mark as the Screenplay Writer for Scarface. He also has directed movies such as Platoon, JFK, and Natural Born Killers. His most recent effort is W., a biographical sketch of our outgoing President.

The movie focuses on various phases of the President’s life. W’s phases could be summarized with attitudes such as: ‘I am a fraternity party animal’, ‘I can’t keep a job’, ‘I am an embarrassment to my family’, ‘Dad loves Jeb more’, ‘I can’t stop eating’, ‘Dad doesn’t want me to out success him’, and ‘I’m the President’. I know this will shock many, but the President is even portrayed as an idiot. The President is visualized as a constant dichotomy: egomaniac with a severe inferiority complex.

Look, there is not a person with any sense that would proclaim the 43rd President as a good one. However, no one with any sense would accept Oliver Stone as a pop psychologist either. This movie actually has a few solid performances by the likes of Josh Brolin (W) and Richard Dreyfuss (Cheney). The movie has very odd time sequence changes and one really bad acting performance (Condoleezza). It also presents a man from extreme wealth, in a high spotlight family, who attended Ivy League Schools, and rose to the highest office in our nation as having no social graces or etiquette.
If Stone is looking to further tarnish Bush’s legacy, I don’t think this movie will do the trick. W. is one of those movies that has a ‘B’ rated feel, with a ‘D-’ outcome.

1 comment:

James E. Miller said...

"W. is one of those movies that has a ‘B’ rated feel, with a ‘D-’ outcome."

If I didn't know better, I'd think this reviewer actually knew what he was talking about.

About Me

My photo
See Rock City, USA, United States