Thursday, March 19, 2009

Alan Jackson didn't forget - Choices

If there is a Mount Rushmore for country music, George Jones has to be one of the faces. George has a way of singing that is hard to describe. He sings with so much feeling that it resonates to the listener. George's impact on country music is insurmountable.

George has been plagued with drug abuse throughout his career. No-Show Jones became a household name in his hayday. He became unpredictable, erratic and down right crazy. He would often miss concerts, have brushes with the law and have woman problems to boot.

Throughout all the troubling times, George seemed to crank out the heart breakers and charm the fans. George's 4th marriage seemed to be the charm. You know what they say about the 4th marriage...OK you're right - I guess there are no sayings about 4th marriages. George married Nancy Sepulveda on March 4, 1983. George considered Nancy as his "rock". She helped him as like most other "recovering -musician junky - johnny cash like stories" go.

George's career fell into a lull in the late 1980s and early 90s (as did a lot of others country music stars in his age bracket). He had a short run comeback in 1992 with some novelty type songs, but it didn't last long. George's career continued to decline. Fortunately, Alan Jackson had not forgotten about him. George was one of Alan's heroes.

George professed to be alcohol and drug free. On March 6, 1999, George Jones was involved in a near fatal SUV crash. Alcohol was involved. "I did wrong that day and take full responsibility," stated George. His actions made him renew his vows to sobriety and refocus his work on a new music project. The Cold Hard Truth was released on June 22, 1999, and spawned a song that hit home with George and the fans. Choices was George's song. Every one was fighting for George hoping that he would get every aspect of his life on track.

The Country Music Awards recognized the impact of the song and asked George to perform. George was flattered. He later found out that the CMAs only wanted him to play about a minute or so of the song do to time contrants. Basically they were telling him that you are still not worth the time. George just told them to forget it and boycotted the show.

Alan Jackson had not forgotten about him. Unbenounced to the awards show, Alan altered his performance of his current hit and paid tribute to his hero.

Choices

Written by Billy Yates and Mike Curtis

I've had choices
Since the day that I was born
There were voices
That told me right from wrong
If I had listened no I wouldn't be here today
Living and dying with the choices I made
I was tempted by an early age I found I liked drinkin'
Oh, and I never turned it down
There were loved ones but I turned them all away
I guess I'm payin' for the things that I have done
If I could go back Oh, Lord knows I'd run
But I'm still losin'
This game of life I play
Living and dying
With the choices I made

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love George Jones and I have great respect for Alan Jackson. I think this is an amazing example of a good guy doing the right thing!! The next year, they just let George sing....and why not??

About Me

My photo
See Rock City, USA, United States