Monday, March 16, 2009

The Masked Blogger - Real Wrestling?

When I was a kid, I loved professional wrestling. Hulk Hogan, “Rowdy” Roddy Piper, and “Mr. Wonderful” Paul Orndorff were at the top of the profession during my childhood.
Even as an adult, I still possess an affection for it, but now there is another set of names that catch my eye. Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit, and “Mr. Perfect” Curt Hennig are just a few names on this list. This past Friday, March 13, Andrew “Test” Martin was added to this fraternity. These are former professional wrestlers who died suddenly, at young ages, and with drug abuse rumors surrounding them.

Professional wrestling has always had the aura of being ‘scripted’ and yet these deaths are anything but. Steroids and pain killers continue to run ramped and claim the lives of these young athletes. I know that you can’t simply blame the business itself, but as we watch our favorite wrestlers and their phony aliases, we must assume that most of them are dealing with real demons in an effort to win our cheers.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
See Rock City, USA, United States