Friday, March 13, 2009

Justin Townes Earle...hmm.

Justin Townes Earle is the son of famous musician/poet/political activist/sometimes troublemaker Steve Earle. Steve Earle is a bittersweet pill for me to swallow. I think he is very talented, but he can really get on my nerves at times. Over the years his music has become more of a politico-music thing and that just wears on me.

I became aware of Justin about a year ago. I was able to listen to some tracks from his second release The Good Life and was blown away. Anyone that has a famous parent as a dad is going going to have it tough. I think you may have your foot in the door and the money, BUT you won't have the people your side and THAT's the problem. The Good Life is a great album. It is a mixture of tunes that are traditional country with some that are more folk oriented. Justin's voice blows me away and the production is great. I would venture to say that his voice (at least on the recordings) are the best traditional style country voicings I've heard in country music in the last 15 years. They seem pure and reminiscent of Hank while keeping his own person integrity.

Justin has a new album out, Midnight at the Movies, and it sounds like it's fairly solid. I was disappointed that the direction of styles seem to be changing slightly. It seemed to me that I could here a young Steve Earle singing a lot on that record - in voice and style of music. I hope that was just me and not the reality.

Anyway, I think the public should take a look a this guy and give him a fair shot even if you like or dislike his daddy.

Here's his official video from his The Good Life release:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQbO25Yb73Y

No comments:

About Me

My photo
See Rock City, USA, United States