Friday, March 20, 2009

The Masked Blogger - I like girls who wear Abercrombie & Fitch, I just don't like their customer service.

I could be wrong, but...

Well, the Masked Blogger is back at it again with another intellectual brain buster. Hmm, this "masked one" enjoys shopping in a cologne drenched store with near nude male models plastered everywhere? And you shop there for the durability? Sounds like your street cred is...well, more on the late night street corner. Take your mask off!!

_____________________________________
I don’t know if it is an urban legend or not, but I have been told that the employees of Abercrombie and Fitch are instructed to ignore its customers. Supposedly the A&F Employee Handbook says something along these lines: “Thou shalt not greet or seek to serve thy customers”. I have been on the receiving end of this lack of hospitality a number of times. I walk in, no one says “hello” or “may I help you” or receive any extension of anything even resembling customer service. Apparently, there is some kind of pop psychology taking place. Evidently, A&F wants the customer to feel privileged to be in their store rather than vice-versa. It is a ‘you need us rather than we need you’ concept. Despite this treatment, sky rocket prices, loud music, and a nauseating scent of cologne, I keep going back. I have only bought a few things ever from A&F. They were surprisingly good deals and I have been impressed by the durability.


What’s interesting is that the last few times that I have been in Abercrombie and Fitch, I have been overwhelmingly welcomed by the staff. Each time I have been greeted by multiple workers, my business is sought, and I feel truly welcome. The change is so glaringly obvious it is like the elephant in the room. Of course a drastic alteration such as this begs the obvious question of why. My best guess is that it is connected to the economic crisis in our country. Does A&F think that if people are treated respectfully that they might still buy regardless of their financial circumstances? What a far out thought; be nice to those that pay your bills!
I don’t know if this ‘chivalry thing’ will last beyond the recession, but even if it doesn’t, I will keep going back to a store where I feel unwanted while the majority of my natural senses are repulsed. Makes sense, right?

No comments:

About Me

My photo
See Rock City, USA, United States